Wecome To RVs and OHVs

This blog is all about RVs (recreational vehicles) and OHVs (Off Highway Vehicles), camping, sailing, and survival
and how they work together to provide wholesome family fun and great learning opportunities.
Many posts are intended to familiarize novice campers and RVers with RV systems and basic camping and survival
skills. But even experienced RVers and campers will enjoy the anecdotes and may even benefit from a new
perspective. Comments, questions, and suggestions are encouraged. The organization is pretty much by date of publication because of how blogspot works. Please use the SEARCH option below to find what you are looking for.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Are You Ever Too Old for RVing, OHVing, or Camping?

Are you ever too old for RVing, OHVing, or camping?  I suppose there may come a time when physical or neurological limitations may interfere with camping and off road activities.  But unless your doctor has issued restrictions or you have severe disabilities that would make camping or riding unhealthy, uncomfortable, or dangerous to you or others, there is no reason you shouldn't keep on going out as long as you feel like doing it.  I have a friend in his late 70's who still organizes and leads two week-long dirt bike rides in Mexico every year.  To celebrate my own 70th birthday this year my wife and I spent several days camping and riding in the west desert of Utah around Chimney Rock Pass, logging more than 50 miles of trail riding on our dirt bikes.  That birthday celebration also gave me a chance to confirm that "A potato baked in the campfire for one hour makes and excellent side dish".  I have no plans to confirm the second part of that saying (i.e., that "A potato baked in the campfire for three hours makes an excellent hockey puck".)  I'll take that on faith!

As you mature you may modify your riding style or even switch from dirt bikes to ATVs or side-by-sides, but in general there is no good reason to abandon your sport entirely just because the calendar says you're getting older.  How you are old is more important than how old you are!  I believe you don't stop riding (or camping) because you get old; you get old because you stop riding (or camping).  I  admit I have been forced to acknowledge that my body doesn't heal as readily as it once did so I try harder to avoid crashing.  That means I'm a little less adventurous than I once was, a little more cautious.  I have even found that the ground comes up a lot faster and harder when I jump down from my pickup truck than it used to.  One of my riding buddies was once asked why he didn't take up golf.  His reply:  "Because I can still get my leg over my motorcycle!"  I must admit I came back to camp from one particularly tiring technical ride in the Mojave Desert several years ago and announced that "I think I need some new shocks -- and my bike could probably use some new ones too!"

"You don't stop riding because you get old.  You get old because you stop riding."  is one of my favorite quotes and one I firmly believe in.  Of course you could substitute "RVing" or"camping" or any number of pleasant and popular activities for "riding", but any way you cut it, giving up on the things you like to do will age you much faster than the mere passage of time.  My grandfather was fond of saying "A man will rust out quicker than he'll wear out" and I've seen plenty of folks "retire" to a life of leisure as couch potatoes who didn't last very long.  I know one gentleman who, upon retiring, parked himself in front of the TV and refused to do anything more physical than lifting the remote control and within just a few months had to trade his favorite easy chair for a wheel chair which was, in turn, was all too soon exchanged for a coffin.  One evening when visiting my Dad in Oregon I helped him haul 30 bales of hay on his little Datsun pickup and stack them for the calf they were raising.   We felt pretty proud of our accomplishment.  The next day we drove to Idaho to visit my Grandfather who, at 88, we discovered, had spent the morning hauling 80 bales of hay and storing them in the loft of his neighbor's barn -- by himself!  Dad and I just shared a knowing look and said nothing about our puny efforts the night before.  BTW, Grandpa was not a big husky fellow, but he was strong and in incredibly good shape for his age.  He was only 4'11" tall.  I like to tell people I come from a long line of short people (my Dad was 5'3").  I'm a more average 5'8" or at least I was well into my 70's.

As we age we do need to consider the physical changes our bodies are going through.   Our bones are more brittle and it takes longer to heal from sprains and road rash.  Our muscles may not be quite as strong or as resilient.  So it is only prudent to exercise a little more caution in our outdoor activities.  But that doesn't mean we have to curtail them entirely.  As a dirt bike rider I find I  have lost interest in doing the huge jumps that were, at one time, appealing, but I still thoroughly enjoy trail riding and flying through the whoops!  Of course I am almost obsessive about wearing all my body armor!  And, when it comes to camping and RVing, there are few, if any restrictions imposed by age, unless your doctor shuts you down.  You may need to limit activity when  you are recovering from illnesses or surgeries that are more common as we grow older, but often our health benefits by maintaining regular participation in the things we like to do.  Be wise.   Let your body, not the calendar, tell you what you can and can't do.  Of course, if the DMV pulls your driver's license, you may have to let someone else drive your RV or chauffer you to camp.

My wife and I are in our 70s now and are grateful to still be in good health and able to participate in our favorite outdoor activities.  I must say the concept restricting activities because of "getting old" has been more and more on our minds.   However, we still believe you don't stop riding/camping/sailing because you get old, you get old because you stop riding/camping/sailing.  We do make adjustments to our routines to minimize the risks that could be associated with the physical and mental limitations that can develop as we age, but we aren't ready to sell all our toys and covert to couch potatoes.  But everyone is different.  We have  a friend who is just a few years older whose family just put him in assisted living last week.  He had been fairly active until just a few months ago and has gone down hill surprisingly fast.  For us it is simply a reminder that you never know what the future will bring and perhaps a prompting to be more aware of changes as they occur

Don't let the calendar -- or anyone else except maybe your doctor or the DMV -- tell you when to stop enjoying your favorite outdoor activities.   You (or your doctor) should be the only ones to set limits.  And even if your doctor wants to limit your activities, make sure you understand and agree with his reasoning.  Some physicians tend to be over cautious and may not understand the value of your chosen ways of keeping active.  I could count on understanding from my chiropractor in California.  He was a fellow dirt rider and sometimes raced vintage dirt bikes, but not all doctors have an appreciation for the OHV lifestyle.

Keep on keeping on!

No comments:

Post a Comment