Wecome To RVs and OHVs

This blog is all about RVs (recreational vehicles) and OHVs (Off Highway Vehicles), camping, sailing, and survival
and how they work together to provide wholesome family fun and great learning opportunities.
Many posts are intended to familiarize novice campers and RVers with RV systems and basic camping and survival
skills. But even experienced RVers and campers will enjoy the anecdotes and may even benefit from a new
perspective. Comments, questions, and suggestions are encouraged. The organization is pretty much by date of publication because of how blogspot works. Please use the SEARCH option below to find what you are looking for.

Sunday, October 21, 2012

RVing, Camping, and OHVing, a Natural Fountain of Youth

Staying active in the RV, camping, and OHV lifestyle has been a kind of natural fountain of youth for my wife and I.   Now semi-retired, we still find great joy in going places in our RV, tent camping, and riding our horses and our dirt bikes. They say dirt bikers never grow up, they just get bigger and that may be true.   Besides that, you don't stop riding because you get old, get old because you stop riding!  I logged more than 50 miles of off road trails on my dirt bike on my 70th birthday.

My own grandfather said "A man will rust out a lot quicker than he'll wear out" and I've seen it happen over and over.  People who remain active live longer and more productive lives than those who settle for a couch potato existence when they retire.  Some folks feel they've worked hard all their lives and are entitled to just take it easy when they retire.   I have no argument with them, but personally, I think they're cheating themselves.  Staying active is an important part of staying healthy. Sometimes, by changing what you do you can still stay active without continuing to be worn down by your job.  I've seen people plop down in an easy chair and refuse to move when they retire.   And they usually didn't last long.  On the other hand, I've seen people stay active into their 90s and beyond.  Retirement may be a good time to become an activist in your favorite cause.  Being actively involved in something (anything) will most likely keep you feeling and acting younger.

RVing, camping, and OHVing provide continuing options for retired persons to remain active. There is a certain level of physical activity involved that is good for most of us, but, I think, the mental attitude has an even greater affect on us.  "Young at heart" is a frequently quoted thought memorialized in poetry and songs and it is a good way of describing people who remain active.   I've seen people well into their 90s who are still active and alert, reveling in outdoor activities and new learning experiences.   On the other hand, I've seen people barely into their 60s for whom hobbling from the couch to the refrigerator for another beer during TV commercials causes over-exertion and is the extent of their exercise.   In rare cases, a physical disability is to blame, but by and large, it is more likely due to mental attitude.  If you decide your life is over, it will be, sooner than you think!

As an avid dirt biker, I admit I've had to slow down a little since I "retired", but I still enjoy riding whenever I get the chance.  I realize my reaction time is a little slower, my strength and stamina a little diminished, my bones a little more brittle and my bruises and road rash (contusions) heal more slowly these days.  With that in mind I try to be a little more careful when I'm riding and probably avoid some of the more technical challenges I might have welcomed in my younger days. But that doesn't mean I'm ready to put my dirt bike on craigslist.  I ALWAYS wear protective gear. My wife and I still very much enjoy hitting the trails.  When asked why he didn't take up golf as he got older, one of my riding buddies replied "I can still swing my leg over my dirt bike!"  I figure that when the day comes for me that I can't get my leg over my dirt bike, it will be time to switch to an ATV or a UTV (side-by-side) rather than completely retiring from the OHV lifestyle.  I am pleased that there are options available that will be a little less physically demanding than my dirt bike yet allow me to continue riding.  Last summer I worked as an ATV mechanic at a resort in southern Utah. We had customers of all ages.  Some of the more memorable groups, who had the most fun, were large family groups, that included several (at least 3) generations of riders.  Part of my job was test riding vehicles after repairs so I got to get some experience with ATVs and side-by-sides.  (How fun is that?  Actually getting paid to go trail riding!)  ATVs and UTVs give you much of the fun of off road riding in vehicles that are a little more stable and less demanding than 2-wheeled dirt bikes.   I recently talked with a former dirt biker who is approaching retirement age.  He was seriously injured in a dirt bike accident a few years ago and has chosen to stop dirt biking -- but he still regularly ventures out in a UTV (side-by-side).  I have a dirt biking friend who is in his late 70's and is still riding.  In fact, he organizes and leads two, week-long off road rides in Mexico every year!

RVing by itself provides a fairly comfortable way for senior citizens to enjoy our the great outdoors.  If you can still drive safely, you can probably enjoy the RV lifestyle.  Tent camping, with the rigors of setting up and taking down camps, requires a little more physical strength and stamina, but there are even some options to make that easier, like self-erecting "pop-up" tents.  And camping or RVing with your children and grandchildren is a great option and a wonderful family activity.   You can leave some the more arduous tasks to the younger generation while still continuing to enjoy the lifestyle and providing guidance and wisdom from your extensive personal experience.  It is a real win-win situation.

Tent camping is still a good option for many senior campers.  You probably don't want to wait until you're retired to take it up, but if you're already a camper, there is no reason you can't continue.  However, if you didn't get around to it until retirement, it isn't too late to start!  If you are already an experienced tent camper, you may find you want to trade in your trusty old canvas cabin tent for a modern, lighter and easier to set up model but you don't have to limit your camping activities to sitting on the couch and watching the Nature channel.  Getting out and getting some exercise and fresh air is usually good for you.  If you aren't accustomed to the rigors of camping you should probably get a good physical checkup before you start.  Like any other physical sport, you may need to train for it.

RVing, OHVing, and camping all provide many opportunities for both mental and physical exercise that can help keep us young . I truly believe what my grandfather said: "A man will rust out a lot quicker than he'll wear out!"  I sure don't plan to rust!

One of my favorite quotes is "You don't stop riding because you get  old; you get old because you stop riding."

Keep riding!

No comments:

Post a Comment